Shaila Catherine is an American Buddhist meditation master, teacher, and author in the Theravada Buddhist tradition.
Catherine is the founder of Insight Meditation South Bay in Mountain View, California, and the primary teacher for Bodhi Courses, an online Buddhist classroom.
She conducts retreats locally, nationally and internationally in mindfulness (satī), concentration (samādhi and jhāna), lovingkindness (mettā), and insight meditation (vipassanā).
In addition to these Asian masters, she has studied with founders of Western meditation centers (Christopher Titmuss, Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Salzberg, and Lama Surya Das).
Catherine developed a special interest in the practice of deep concentration, and in 2003-2004 devoted a one-year silent meditation retreat to exploring absorption as the foundation for insight meditation. Based upon her experiences in this retreat, she wrote Focused and Fearless, as an introduction to the absorption states of jhāna.
- Catherine, Shaila. Focused and Fearless: A Meditator’s Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm and Clarity, Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2008. ISBN 978-0-86171-560-2
- Catherine, Shaila. Wisdom Wide and Deep: A Practical Handbook for Mastering Jhanā and Vipassanā, Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2011. ISBN 978-0-86171-623-4
- Jhana and the Practice of True Happiness
- Settle into the Bliss
- Focused and Fearless with the Jhanas
- The Way of Commitment
- Concentrating the Hell Out of Mind: Jhana Interviews with four experts