Friday, December 13, 2019

Karma: Seven Vows of Sakka (sutra)

Mahamevnawabm.org, Deva Sattavatapada Sutra; Dhr. Seven, Pfc. Sandoval, Wisdom Quarterly

"The Discourse on the Seven Noble Vows of Sakka"
Stories of Sakka Lord of the Gods
Thus have I heard. At one time the Blessed One was staying in Sāvatthi province in Jeta’s Grove at Anāthapiṇḍika’s Monastery where he taught:

“Meditators, in the past when Sakka, king of the devas, was a human, he practised seven noble vows. Because of that good karma he achieved his current position. What were those seven noble vows?
  1. As long as I live may I help my parents.
  2. As long as I live may I respect the family elders.
  3. As long as I live may I speak gently.
  4. As long as I live may I not speak divisively.
  5. As long as I live may I live at home without greediness, removing the stain of stinginess, open-handed, always ready to give, always free to help others, delighting in giving and sharing, and well organized in giving charity.
  6. As long as I live may I speak the truth.
  7. As long as I live may I be free from anger, and if anger should arise in me, may I remove it quickly.
“Meditators, in the past when Sakka, king of the devas, was human, he practiced seven noble vows. Because he carried out those good deeds, he achieved the position he has now.”

When a person supports parents,
respects family elders,
speaks gentle and pleasing words,
avoids divisive speech,
removes stinginess,
speaks truthfully,
and restrains anger,
the Devas of the Thirty-Three call
that person a truly superior person. More

No comments: