Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Insight Meditation for Kids and Teens


A two-day children's breath meditation (anapana) course for boys and girls will be held at the California Vipassana Center in North Fork, California, March 27-28. Open to all children 8-12 years old, the course will run from Saturday 1:00 pm through Sunday 2:30 pm.

In addition, a one-day teenager's anapana course will be held for girls 13-17 years old at the South Bay Vipassana Hall in Santa Clara on Sunday, April 11. And a one-day course for teenage boys will be held in Berkeley on July 11. Pre-registration is required. Volunteers can also apply.

Whereas the attendance of a parent or guardian is not necessary, it is important that children choosing to attend do so willingly.

What is Breath Meditation?
Anapana is the observation of the natural breath to concentrate the mind, while observing the Five Precepts. These courses and their timetables have been specifically designed for children and teenagers. Young people from all over have realized many benefits from practicing this meditation. It enhances their concentration, sharpens their memory, and they become calmer. It is a practical tool useful in facing any type of challenge.


In the words of young people who learn to meditate:

"I like this course because I like playing outside, playing with clay. We also did tie-dye. I also like this course because it seems like I'm at home and the food is so good."

"At school if I need to concentrate on what the teacher is doing or saying I can use anapana. And if I am mad and angry, I can use anapana."

"I learned that I like meditating because it makes me feel relaxed."

Volunteer Opportunity
Servers are welcome to apply to help on these courses. If you are a Goenka vipassana student and interested in serving on either course, please fill out a volunteer form for the children's course or teenagers' course.

No comments: