Thursday, September 6, 2012

Zen: Fiona Apple's journey

Fiona Apple; Seven, Wisdom Quarterly
Indy artist Fiona Apple (Lionel Deluy/NPR.org)
 
Fiona has always been a complex artist on a journey of self discovery overcoming ego.
 
Since "Tidal" through "Extraordinary Machine" to her newest "The Idler Wheel," she has sought to differentiate herself from bad relationships and come into her own. The journey has been intense and emotional.  
 
Extraordinary Machine
Meditation is way to consciously evolve.
"I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes. And I certainly haven't been spreading myself around. I still only travel by foot, and by foot it's a slow climb. But I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time.

"I notice that my opponent is always on the go and won't go slow so as not to focus, and I notice. He'll hitch a ride with any guide as long as they go fast from whence he came. But he's no good at being uncomfortable, so he can't stop staying exactly the same.
 
"If there were a better way to go then it would find me. I can't help it; the road just rolls out behind me. Be kind to me, or treat me mean. I'll make the most of it. I'm an extraordinary machine

"I seem to you to seek a new disaster every day. You deem me due to clean my view and be at peace and lay. I mean to prove. I mean to move in my own way and say, I've been getting along for long before you came into the play.

"I am the baby of the family, it happens, so everybody cares and wears the sheeps' clothes while they chaperone. Curious, you looking down your nose at me, while you appease courteous to try and help. But let me set your mind at ease. (Chorus)

"Do I so worry you, you need to hurry to my side? It's very kind, but it's to no avail; I don't want the bail. I promise you, everything will be just fine.

"If there were a better way to go then it would find me. I can't help it; the road just rolls out behind me. Be kind to me, or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it. I'm an extraordinary machine."
  • VIDEO: "Extraordinary Machine"
  • NPR reviews Apple's latest release
  • Journey: Three Simple Steps 
  • My life as a monk with Fiona Apple
    As I was leaving, I noticed that on the woman's side of the monastery was Fiona Apple, who apparently was having a nun experience of her own. Apparently we had meditated 10 feet from each other for the entire time in the main hall, and I had not known. She seemed like a nice girl. I was surprised initially, then I remembered what Nipun told me last time he was here. His roommate had been Rivers Cuomo, the frontman for Weezer. 
  • What are meditation retreats for?
    (Oprah.com) Some people go on hikes or meditation retreats to gain clarity. I take a slightly less ambitious approach... A few years ago, when I was thinking about getting out of the music business -- touring terrified me, talking to journalists stressed me out, dealing with the demands of my record company was impossible -- I decided to stay with my mother in New York City. I put on a ratty old bathrobe, parked myself in front of the TV, and tried to figure out what to do with my life. During commercials...

No comments: