Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Meditation: Passive vs. Active



By Im a frayed knot (Daily Kos, 6/28/09)

The subject of meditation came up yesterday, and I decided to write a diary. Before I begin, I must stress in the strongest possible terms that I am no more an accomplished meditator than I am a doctor. If I could do as well as I can talk, I could do much more with my life than I am doing. I am not a 'human complete;' rather, I am a 'human becoming.'"

DIARY
I began my study of meditation decades ago when I read Dion Fortune's book Training and Work of an Initiate. In that book she explains that there are two types of meditation, which she ascribes [to] the difference between Eastern and Western cultures. She says that Eastern cultures try to reach the soul up to the heavens, whereas Western cultures try to bring the heavens to Earth.

As I look at the behaviors of these cultures (in a less blended form than perhaps we have now), I see her point. Anyway, to accomplish the cultural goals, which are expressed person by person, the Eastern approach is passive, uniting oneself with the "oversoul." The Western approach is active, pulling the beauty of the "oversoul" to enrich the individual. Subtle difference, but it manifests strongly in the meditative approach.

You can see the stark differences when you look at the Deepak Chopra approach (Eastern) vs. Franz Bardon's approach as discussed in Initiation into Hermetics. Today I discuss the passive approach, as I find it is easier to get started in that one. Over time, migrating to the active approach may be useful, especially to activists who want to see change on Earth. There are several books out about Eastern meditation practices. I tend to lean toward Chopra's books because he communicates his view in words and phrases that the Western mind grasps easily. I summarize his words here with my own thoughts intermingled. More>>

Daily Kos

No comments: