|Fireworks spectacular Hollywood Bowl, one of many over incendiary Los Angeles|
|PHOTOS: Who has the best fireworks display in our imperial nation?|
|Dharma democratized: Theravada Dhammakaya meditation movement, Thailand|
|Buddhist Publication Society (BPS.lk)|
Each page in this section contains a selection of short passages from the sutras (see discourses in Glossary) that introduce or illustrate different aspects of a single topic.
If a particularly meaningful or interesting passage is encountered, in most cases, it is possible to read the full text of the sutra from which it came by simply following the link at the end of that passage.
Many of the passages are cross-referenced to other pages, allowing for the perusal of a theme to whatever depth or breadth is desired.
(Magical Kingdom of the Empire) Fireworks over Main St., USA, Walt Disney World
This is by no means an exhaustive tutorial. A number of the topics introduced here are explored more thoroughly in the Study Guides. The General Index also has many references to additional readings on related topics. Begin the tour by exploring the Going for Guidance (in the Triple Gem):
The Buddha's Path to Deliverance
- What's everything I need to know to get enlightened?
- The Dharma: An Outline of the Buddha's Teachings is organized according to his method of "gradual instruction" called anupubbi-katha. The Buddha frequently used this framework to guide listeners from first principles (such as virtue and generosity to uplift and enable the mind/heart to concentrate) through progressively more subtle teachings (such as the Three Universal Characteristics of Existence, revealing hidden suffering and its causal origins through its profound Dependent Origination), all the way to the fulfillment of the Four Noble Truths and the realization of enlightenment and complete freedom called nirvana.
- The Sangha: Descriptions of the Sangha — the whole community of "noble persons," a noble being anyone who has gained at least the first stage of enlightenment (ariya-sangha) and the monastic Sangha, that is, the community of ordained monks (bhikkhu-) and nuns (bhikkhuni-) Sangha.
(Pasadena Media) Radical Pasadena's AmericaFest 2013 fireworks spectacular inside the world-famous Rose Bowl usually reserved for New Year's Day sports activities and a little parade.
- BUDDHIST DICTIONARY by Ven. Nyanatiloka (Buddhist Publication Society, 1980) is a classic handbook of important Buddhist terms and doctrines compiled by a Western scholar-monk in Theravada Buddhism
- The Buddha's Path to Deliverance, by Nyanatiloka Mahathera (BPS.lk, 1982), is a systematic exposition of essential points of the Dharma based on passages from the sutras
- Study Guides: anthologies of short passages suitable for individual and group study
- The Wings to Awakening: An Anthology from the Pali Canon, by Ven. Thanissaro (Geoffrey DeGraff) (Barre, Massachusetts: Dhammadana Publications, 1996)
|Los Angeles: Israeli author Max Blumenthal, poet Sholeh Wolpe, host Sonali Kolhatkar|
|Goliath: Life, Loathing|
|Sounds totally Zef, Ninja! - Right, Yo-Landi|
|What's there to do in the heat? (scpr.org)|
- Location: Chuco's Justice Center
- 1137 E. Redondo Blvd.
- Inglewood, California 90302
- Jodi Arias sentenced to life in lesbian prison (OITNB)
- Authorities: suspect high on meth in AZ killings
- Church fires "usually" not arson, just weather in SC?
- Racism and Sexism: Reelz to rescue homeless Miss USA pageant
- US unemployment goes higher, looks lower, as statistic falls to 7-year low with wages flat
- Emperor Obama's counterterrorism policy facing mounting criticism