Bon Festival (Obon)
|Obon as celebrated in the late Edo period|
This Buddhist-Confucian custom has evolved into a family reunion holiday during which people return to ancestral family places and visit and clean their ancestors' graves.
|Some Dead are Grateful (HippieShop)|
The festival has been celebrated in Japan for more than 500 years and traditionally includes a dance, known as Bon-Odori.
The festival of Obon lasts for three days; however, its starting date varies across different regions of Japan.
When the lunar calendar was replaced by the imperial Western Gregorian calendar at the beginning of the Meiji era, the localities in Japan reacted differently. This resulted in three different times of Obon.
|Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) altar|
Hachigatsu Bon ("Bon in August") is based on the lunar calendar and is celebrated around August 15th, which is the most commonly celebrated time.
|"Hungry ghost" (preta) during Kali Puja|
Japanese Summer Festival & Bon Odori Schedule
1) 2016 Higashi Hongwanji Annual Summer Obon Festival & Bon Odori (2 Days) - (Sunday: HappyFunSmile Performing Live 6pm) (Saturday, 30 July, 2016)
2) 2016 West Los Angeles Buddhist Temple Annual Summer Obon Festival (Different Times) - WLA (2 Days) Live Taiko, Japanese Food, Children Games.. (Saturday, 30 July, 2016)
West Los Angeles Buddhist Temple Obon & Bon Odori Dance Festival / WEST LA OBON - Obon or 'Festival of... [Details]
3) 2016 Guadalupe Buddhist Church Annual Obon Festival - Veteran's Memorial Cultural Building (Sunday Only) (Sunday, 31 July, 2016)
The Obon Festival an annual Buddhist event held to commemorate one's ancestors. It is believed that each year... [Details]
4) 2016 Higashi Hongwanji Annual Summer Obon Festival & Bon Odori (2 Days) - (Sunday: HappyFunSmile Performing Live 6pm) (Sunday, 31 July, 2016)
Higashi Honganji Buddhist Temple - Japanese Obon - There will be a variety of Japanese foods for sale... [Details]
5) 2016 Salinas Obon Festival - Buddhist Temple of Salinas (Sunday only) (Sunday, 31 July, 2016)
The Salinas Buddhist Temple is planning to hold their Obon festival this sunday. The festival features... [Details]
6) 2016 West Los Angeles Buddhist Temple Annual Summer Obon Festival (Different Times) - WLA (2 Days) Live Taiko, Japanese Food, Children Games.. (Sunday, 31 July, 2016)