Melissa Shattuck was recently stranded at the Chicago O'Hare Int'l Airport for three days on her way back to Sioux Falls from a workshop in Puerto Rico with The Chopra Center. Instead of becoming overly worried and stressed, Shattuck took the setback in stride. A friend remarked to her how calm Shattuck was during the event.
She credits her meditation practice for helping her keep anxiety and stress in check. Shattuck, co-owner of The Dharma Room, started meditating about four and half years ago after an experience at the The Chopra Center in Carlsbad, California.She started meditating to deal with stress.
"This was the most life-changing thing for me in dealing with depression and anxiety," Shattuck says. She is a certified meditation instructor with The Chopra Center, started by teacher and author Deepak Chopra and David Simon. She also teaches Ayurveda and yoga. More>>
- What: Crystal Bowl Meditation with Veronika
- When: 3-4 p.m. Saturday and March 26
- Where: Park Ridge Galleria, 1604 S. Western Ave.
- What: Meditation, Dharma discussion, Q&A with Monastics from MN/SD Buddhist Vihara
- When: 6-8 p.m. Sunday
- Where: The Butterfly Rainbow Center, 1416 S. Minnesota Ave.
- Info: The mission of the Vihara is to share the Buddha's message of peace and happiness and to help create peace and harmony within ourselves and in the surrounding world. The Vihara is open to people of all faith traditions and cultures.
- Info: southdakotabv.org
- Individual meditation is available by appointment from Randy Smith at The Butterfly Rainbow Center.