|The universe (samsara) is an illusion -- seemingly pleasant, permanent, and personal.|
- Overview of Dependent Origination (Buddhanet.net)
|A great read to grasp Buddhism|
|Author (center): Western monk|
|Ven. Nyanatiloka came from Germany|
The formula of dependent origination runs as follows:
3. Viññāna-paccayā nāma-rūpam: "Through consciousness are conditioned mental and physical phenomena" (nāma-rūpa), that is, that which makes up our so-called individual existence.
4. Nāma-rūpa-paccayā salāyatanam: "Through mental and physical phenomena are conditioned the six sense bases," that is, the five physical sense-organs with consciousness [mind] as the sixth.
5. Salāyatana-paccayā phasso: "Through the six sense bases is conditioned (sensorial mental) impression [contact, the coming together of sense, sense object, and awareness]."
6. Phassa-paccayā vedanā: "Through impression (contact) is conditioned feeling [sensation not emotion]."
7. Vedanā-paccayā tanhā: "Through feeling is conditioned craving."
8. Tanhā-paccayā upādānam: "Through craving is conditioned clinging."
9. Upādāna-paccayā bhavo: "Through clinging is conditioned the process of becoming," consisting of the active and the passive life process, that is, the rebirth-producing karma-process (kamma-bhava) and, as its result, the rebirth-process (upapatti-bhava).
10. Bhava-paccayā jāti: "Through the (rebirth-producing karma-) process of becoming is conditioned rebirth."
11. Jāti-paccayā jarāmaranam soka-parideva-dukkha-domanassupayasa sambhavan'ti evametassa kevalassa dukkhakkhandhassa samudayo hoti: "Through rebirth are conditioned [the various forms of suffering] old age and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair. Thus arises the entire mass of suffering (disappointment, distress, unsatisfactoriness) again in the future."
|PAST|| || |
|PRESENT|| ||Rebirth-Process (upapatti bhava) |
five results: 3-7
| || |
|FUTURE|| || |