1. There are occasions when great forces move, this is the first reason.
- ["Ananda, this great earth is established on liquid, the liquid on atmosphere, and atmosphere on space. When mighty atmospheric disturbances take place, the liquid is agitated. And with the agitation of the liquid, tremors of the earth arise. This is the first reason, the first cause for the arising of mighty earthquakes" - Sr. Vajira and Francis Story (trans.), DN 16.]
- ["Ananda, when a wandering ascetic or Brahmin of great power, one who has gained mastery of this mind, or a deva who is mighty and potent, develops intense concentration on the delimited aspect of the earth element and to a boundless degree on the liquid element, that person, too, causes the earth to tremble, quiver, and shake. This is the second reason, the second cause for the arising of mighty earthquakes" - Sr. Vajira and Francis Story, DN 16.]
- 3. conception,
- 4. final rebirth,
- 5. enlightenment,
- 6. the setting in motion the Wheel of the Dharma,
- 7. relinquishing the will to carry on, and
- 8. the final nirvana (parinirvana) of a buddha.
One can see from this how deeply connected a buddha, the highest of all beings, is with the whole cosmos.
After the Buddha had helped to direct Ananda on the path towards enlightenment, he related how he had told Mara 45 years ago that he would not attain final nirvana until the Dharma was well established.