Sunday, July 21, 2019

NEW Buddhist joke: "I'm Nothing"

Dhr. Seven, Sheldon S. (eds.), Wisdom Quarterly retold by Taj (la.shambhala.org); PPR; Tp, TP

https://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/Dalai%20Lama_68782
Because the Dalai Lama was coming to the meditation center, the director was frantically trying to clean up and get things ready, a big task. She'd ordered the assistant-director to come help her. Finally, the assistant-director arrived with a young volunteer.

"Thank god you're here!" the director said. "I really need your help. This job is too big for me and this visit too important for the center!"

"Yes, I know," exclaimed the assistant-director. "That's why I brought a volunteer to help us. He's new, but he's strong and willing."

Just then the director broke down with gratitude. Overwhelmed by the magnitude of who they were preparing for and what this could mean for them, she started to cry: "I'm nothing! I'm nothing! I really am nothing, oh my god."

The director fell to the floor as if in satori and cried and cried. The assistant-director and volunteer gave her her space, let her have her moment. And after about 15 minutes, she pulled herself together and got back to work, blissfully cleaning and arranging things.
.
https://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/Dalai%20Lama_68782
Then suddenly it dawned on the assistant-director, who realized the magnitude of their efforts, and she started to bawl and stammer: "I'm nothing! I'M nothing!! Oh my god, I understand now! I really am nothing!" She cried uncontrollably. Welling up in sympathy, the other two gave her her space.

After a few minutes the assistant-director regained her composure and joyfully got back to work.

After a long time, the volunteer had an epiphany -- suddenly understanding why he was here, what his life was for, and the amazing karma he must have accrued to be called on to serve like this. So he started to cry, "I'M nothing! I'M NOTHING!"

Just then the assistant-director turned to the director. She rolled her eyes and said: "Huh. Look who thinks he's nothing."

No comments: