Saturday, November 2, 2019

Trapped -- and the escape

Ajahn Chah (ajahnchah.org) via Ven. Sujato, Ellie Askew, Dhr. Seven (ed.), Wisdom Quarterly
CIRCLE JERKS ("Trapped"): Trapped! I'm trapped! Trapped! I'm trapped! What [KARMA] did I do to deserve this? Painted myself into a corner. What did I do to deserve this? No windows, doors, or a ladder. What did I do to deserve this? Running down a black alley way. What did I do to deserve this? Trash cans, chain link fence line the way. I'm trapped! I'm trapped! What did I do to deserve this? Dug a hole and there's nowhere to go. What did I do to deserve this? Mental rut and I'm going nuts!

Mara's trap
Mara approaches the Buddha in the form of a djinn (genie/yaksha) trying to trick him.
.
Prayers for the dead, Obon, Japan.
The Buddha taught that the objects of the senses are a trap -- Mara's trap. It is a hunter's trap, we are the prey, and the hunter is Mara.

If animals get caught in a trap, it's a sorrowful predicament. They are held fast and must wait for the hunter to come collect his trap.



When the hunter gets the bird (ACH)
Have you, for instance, ever seen birds snared? The trigger is sprung and -- boom! -- they're caught. A strong bind holds one.

However it struggles, however it tries, it cannot escape. It flaps mightily, but it's done for, awaiting the hunter who'll soon come. When the hunter comes, that's it. The bird is struck, paralyzed with fear. There is no escape.

The trap of the senses -- pleasing sights, sounds, fragrances, flavors, touch-sensations, and mind-objects -- is the same. They catch us, enchant us, bind us, and we're done for. [But the Buddha taught a path-of-practice that leads to freedom, safety, and liberation from Mara.]

No comments: