Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Upcoming Goenka Courses
2. March 22 - Trust Meeting at Dhamma Vaddhana (29 Palms)
3. April 11 - One-Day Course in San Diego
4. April 18 - One-Day Course in El Segundo
5. April 25-26 - Annual Trust Retreat and Dhamma Server Weekend at Dhamma Vaddhana
6. May 2 - One-Day Course in Azusa
7. PLUS: CHILDREN'S COURSE PLANNED
8. ONE-DAY COURSE INFORMATION
9. CENTER UPDATE
10. DHAMMA SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
11. LOCAL GROUP SITTINGS LINK
Dear Vipassana Student,
1. A ONE-DAY VIPASSANA COURSE will be held in Twentynine Palms on Saturday, March 21 from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Please see details in ONE-DAY COURSE INFORMATION below.
68561 29 Palms Highway
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277
PLEASE NOTE: If you are interested in staying overnight at the center and attending the trust meeting the following morning, please indicate your intention in an email to http://firstname.lastname@example.org, so that accommodation may be arranged.
2. A MEETING OF THE SCVC TRUST will take place on Sunday, March 22 from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. The Trust has been established to oversee the development and operations of the center in Twentynine Palms. All old students interested in Dhamma service are cordially invited to attend. The meeting will begin with a one-hour group sitting at 9 a.m. and end at approximately 1:00 p.m.
3. A ONE-DAY VIPASSANA COURSE will be held in San Diego on Saturday, April 11, from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Please see details in ONE-DAY COURSE INFORMATION below.
San Diego Hospice
4311 Third Street
San Diego, CA 92103
4. A ONE-DAY VIPASSANA COURSE will be held in El Segundo on Saturday, April 18, from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Please see details in ONE-DAY COURSE INFORMATION below.
30950 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
El Segundo, CA 90245
5. THE ANNUAL TRUST RETREAT & DHAMMA SERVER WEEKEND will take place at the Southern California Vipassana Center (Dhamma Vaddhana) in Twentynine Palms from Saturday, April 25 at 9.00 a.m. to Sunday, April 26 at 1:00 p.m. All old students are invited to attend. This annual event is a wonderful opportunity for old students who are interested in Dhamma Service in Southern California to learn about how the center is run and how the development is progressing, and to find out about volunteer opportunities and join any of the various committees that may interest you and suit your skills. The aim is to inspire more participation in the work of running our center, and to deepen your practice by giving the dana of service. Accommodations are limited.
Please send an email to http://email@example.com if you are interested in attending.
6. A ONE-DAY VIPASSANA COURSE will be held in Azusa on Saturday, May 2, from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Please see details in ONE-DAY COURSE INFORMATION below.
Brahma Vihara Monastery
(Progressive Buddhist Association)
1790 & 1830 Ranch Rd.
Azusa, CA 91702
NOTE: Please use the directions link provided. If you go to GOOGLE or YAHOO to find the directions, the correct address of "RANCH RD" has not been updated yet. The original address was as "N. AZUSA AVE & N. SAN GABRIEL CYN. RD., AZUSA, CA 91702" but it is in the same location.
7. A ONE-DAY CHILDREN'S ANAPANA MEDITATION COURSE for 8-12 year olds is being planned for Sunday, June 7, from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. in Northridge (San Fernando Valley, north of Los Angeles). Applications will be accepted after April 15. For information, please visit http://www.vaddhana.dhamma.org/children-teens/children-main.html Pre-registration and confirmation are required for this course. If you would like to serve this Children's Course or have other questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
8. ONE-DAY COURSE INFORMATION:
Several one-day courses are offered throughout the year for old students who have completed at least one ten-day course with S.N. Goenka or his assistant teachers. One-day courses are an ideal way to refresh your practice. One-day courses are often conducted by an assistant teacher who is available to answer meditator's questions during lunch interviews. When an assistant teacher is not available to conduct the course, an authorized old student will play one-day course instructions and there are no interviews to clarify meditators' questions. It is not necessary to pre-register for one-day courses.
Please bring a cushion and a non-perishable vegetarian lunch for yourself.
Plan to arrive by 8:30 AM in order to register on site prior to the orientation at 8:45 AM.
Please be on time so as not to disturb others. If you are coming part-time, please do not enter the meditation hall during a sitting.
Please wait to enter until a 10-minute break period or after the lunch break. Out of respect for others, please refrain from wearing fragrances on the One-Day course.
9. CENTER DEVELOPMENT UPDATE:
Check the Dhamma Vaddhana website for photography of the construction progress: http://www.vaddhana.dhamma.org/os/osindex.htm
10. DHAMMA SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA:
DHAMMA WORKERS CONSTRUCTION CREW: There is an opportunity for old students with professional or semi-professional experience in all areas of the construction field to contribute to the construction of the new center. For more information, please visit http://www.vaddhana.dhamma.org/os/scvc/dwcc/dwccindex.htm
ONE-DAY COURSE HOSTS:
If you are interested in sponsoring a one-day course in your area, please contact http://email@example.com for details.
To see a list of other current Dhamma service opportunities, please visit the website at http://www.vaddhana.dhamma.org/ Click on Old Students.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org,
11. LOCAL WEEKLY GROUP SITTINGS LINK:
To find a weekly group sitting in your area, visit http://www.mahavana.dhamma.org/os/groupsit/index.htm
For general inquiries about Southern California Events and Dhamma service, please contact:
Southern California Vipassana Center
P.O. Box 486,
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
760-362-4615 - email@example.com