Thursday, April 16, 2009

Nagas in the News: Man Bites Snake

A Qantas airliner was grounded after four snakes went missing on a passenger flight from Alice Springs to Melbourne(AFP/File/David Hancock). "Qantas will be dead in six months"

KENYAN Ben Nyaumbe says he had to bite a snake in a fight for survival that ended with them both falling out of a tree alive.

The farm manager said he was working alone at a property near Malindi, on the Kenyan coast, when he stepped on something "spongy" and found a python was wrapping itself around his legs.

“The python, apparently hunting for goats, attempted to bind both my legs. But I struggled hard,” he told the Daily Nation. The snake then coiled around his left arm.

“It waggled its ragged and scary tail on my mouth. I had to bite it as I struggled, one hand incapacitated,” he said. Mr. Nyaymbe said he grabbed onto a tree to stop the snake dragging him away. But after an hour he tired and let go of the tree.

He said the snake pulled him up into another tree but rested when it reached the branches. “This gave me the opportunity to remove my phone from my pocket. I had not been able to do so all the time I struggled,” he said. More>> (Also reported by BBC)

Baby pythons escape during flight
MELBOURNE, Australia – Four baby pythons escaped from a container aboard a passenger plane in Australia, leading to a search that forced the cancellation of two flights, the airline said Thursday.

Twelve non-venemous Stimson pythons were being transported Tuesday on a flight from Alice Springs to Melbourne in the plane's cargo area in a bag inside a plastic foam box with air holes.

When the flight landed, it was discovered that four snakes had escaped... More>>

No comments: