Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Some religious practices fine for Atheists

Some Religious Practices are fine for Atheists
Randall Bourquin, Univ. of Georgia
I’m an atheist. Lent is Christian. And I really like it. Though I never looked forward to the annual conversation with my Catholic father about what I would be giving up for Lent as a kid, I have grown to appreciate the lessons of Lent as an adult.

This year, after recognizing a pattern of coffee consumption in my day-to-day similar to a hardcore hippies’ marijuana use, I’m kicking the bean. And it’s going to suck. Today is the first day of Lent -- and the first day of my withdrawal.

But denying yourself something that you want can make you a better person. Testing your resolve, cultivating personal restraint and ridding your life of something negative are all beneficial activities.

The Christian tradition of foregoing something during the 40 days before Easter are said to be in memorial to the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert being tempted by Satan. Motivation aside, I believe if everyone deprived themselves of a negative indulgence or bad habit for 40 days, their experience would be helpful to all and hurtful to none. More>>

No comments: