Smoke haze obscures building under construction, Singapore March 2014 (Tim Wimborne)|
Singapore braces for worst smoke "haze" as Indonesia slashes-and-burns forests
Singapore is approaching its yearly "haze" [dense air pollution] season, when smoke from forest clearing in Indonesia chokes the air, with this year likely to be worse than 2013's record pollution thanks to lack of action in Jakarta and an expected El Nino weather pattern.
|Is America better than Asia about polluting?|
- Double trouble for coffee: Drought and disease send prices up
- Supreme Court ruling not enough to prevent debtors' prisons
- Obama: Any misconduct at VA will be punished
- 4 dead, several injured in California bus crash (updated)
- Modi invites Pakistan PM Sharif to inauguration
- Column: How far can Modi take India?
- Modi exploring breakup of Coal India - sources
- Column: Modi mania shows growth premium
- Twitter friendship for Asian nationalists Modi and Abe
- Russia says troops pulling back from Ukraine border
- Modi grapples with first challenge - filling his cabinetEven in Muslim heartlands, Modi racks up gains