Monday, September 12, 2022

Hair, the hippie musical, Texas State (video)

HAIR (Texas State Univ.), Pat Macpherson, Dhr. Seven, Ashley Wells (eds.), Wisdom Quarterly
With the passing of the years, ‘Hair’ has grown thin in 2020 (The Boston Globe)

"When the Moon is the Seventh House, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars," or so says the 5th Dimension in their hit "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" (and Flesh Failures) from the musical Hair. But what does the Hair Tribe say in "Going Down"?

The musical HAIR, Texas State University with Kaleb Quinn as Berger

"Going Down"
Cupid/Eros=Kama/Mara Devaputra
LYRICS: [BERGER:] Me and Lucifer/ Lucifer and me/ Just like the angel that fell/ Banished forever to hell/ Today have I been expelled/ From high school heaven/ Elevator going down/ Going down/ Going down/ Everybody going down/ Going down/ Going down/ This is my doom/ My humiliation/ October, not June/ And it's summer vacation/ Such a disgrace/ How can I face the nation?/ Why should this pain/ Bring me such strange elation?

[BERGER & TRIBE:] Elevator going down/ Going down/ Going down/ Everybody going down/ Going down/ Going down

[BERGER:] Emancipation proclamation/ Oh, Dr. Lincoln/ My head needs shrinkin'/ Lu Lu Lu Lu Lu Lu Lu Lu Lu Lu Lu Lu/ Lucifer and me/ Doomed from here to eternity/ Baaa baaa baaa

[BERGER & TRIBE:] Going up, going down/ Going down/ Going down/ Everybody going up/ Going down/ Going

[BERGER & (TRIBE):] Down down, everybody going/ (Down down, everybody going)/ Down down down, whoa/ (Down down, everybody going)/ Forgive me if I don't cry/ (Down down, everybody going)/ It's like the Fourth of July/ (Down down, everybody going)/ Thank Gawd that angels can fly/ (Down down, everybody going)

[BERGER & TRIBE:] Down down down/ Going down down down/ Going down down down/ Going down


LYRICS: "Donna"
Hair (The New Broadway Cast Recording)
[BERGER:] Oh, once upon a looking for Donna time
There was a 16-year-old virgin
Oh, Donna, oh oh, Donna, oh oh oh
Looking for my Donna

Just got back from looking for Donna
San Francisco psychedelic urchin
Oh, Donna, oh oh, Donna, oh oh oh
Looking for my Donna

Have you seen my 16-year-old tattooed woman?
Heard a story she got busted for her beauty
Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh

Once upon a looking for Donna time
Never gonna end my searching
Oh, Donna, oh oh, Donna, oh oh oh
Looking for my Donna

I've been to India
And saw the yogi life
In South America
The Indian smoke glows bright
I'm reincarnated and so are we all
And in this lifetime we'll rise
Before we fall

[TRIBE:] Before we fall

[BERGER & TRIBE:]
Once upon a looking for Donna time
There was a 16-year-old virgin
Oh, Donna, oh oh, Donna, oh oh oh
Looking for my Donna

[BERGER:]
And I'm gonna show her life on Earth
Can be sweet
Gonna lay my mutated head at her feet
And I'm gonna love her
Make love to her
'Til the sky turns brown

I'm evolving
I'm evolving
Through the drugs
That you put down

[TRIBE:] That you put down...

Book and lyrics by Gerome Ragni and James Rado. Music by Galt MacDermot. Character work and staging by Kaitlin Hopkins and Tom Delbello. Choreography by Cassie Abate, Alicia Cosenza, Andrew Fleming, Cayla Primous, and Marcus Brooks. Music direction by Greg Bolin. Produced by Kaitlin Hopkins (Head of Musical Theatre). Social Media: TXSTMT Twitter/Instagram Facebook: TXST. Musical Theatre Assistant Director Alex Uridales. Assistant Musical Director Paul Amrani. Technical Director Colin Shay. Assistant Technical Director Jack Roark. Scenic Designer Corey Jones. Costume Designer Max DeBeradine. Lighting Designer MacKenzie Mulligan. Assistant Lighting Designer Jennifer Gonzales, Jules Cabrera. Sound Designer Ryan Scott Long. Diversity Dramaturge Sam Beckman.

No comments: