Thursday, August 29, 2024

Burning Man: 5 things everyone gets wrong

How the Burning Man festival has influenced Silicon Valley innovations over the years
I brought my family and gave them ACID - not LSD, just acetic acid, vinegar, for our tummies.

I went for the first time. Here are 5 things everyone gets wrong (Anneta Konstantinides/Insider)
Isn't Burning Man just a bunch of Mad Max cosplay wannabees in the desert? Has to be! Look at 'em
.
This is "The Man" burned to stick it to The Man
I went to Burning Man for the first time in 2023 — and many people are wrong about the event.

They think Burning Man is a big music festival only attended by celebrities and CEOs. But the truth is Burning Man is full of regular people who work year-round to create an incredible sense of community.
What is this crowd of ordinary folk looking at? Burning Couple in the distance. Fire's cool.
.
Enter if you dare: "The Orgy Dome"
Over the last few years, Burning Man has become known as a haven for Silicon Valley tech bros and Instagram influencers, who cough up thousands of dollars to party in "Mad Max" desert cosplay.

Mad Max, the original in the Outback of Australia
But when I went for the first time last year, I realized there's a lot that people get wrong about the legendary annual event. Now that I've done my own inaugural "Dust Angel" and gotten the full playa experience, I'm ready to correct some of the biggest Burning Man myths. Here are five things everyone gets wrong.

Let's go, Mark. - Where? - I'll kick your @$$!
Burning Man
became more prominent as it began attracting high profile Burners like billionaires Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk, including supermodels like Heidi Klum and Cindy CrawfordMore via Yahoo
How this event became a city

(DamiLee) What is this magical communion of humanity? This is not a capitalist endeavor like Coachella or Lollapalooza. This is the peoples' event, powered by participants and their creativity. It's like nothing else in the world. There's a reason why 70,000 make it out to desert in a journey as tough as the good old mystery rave days before they got commercial.

CHAPTERS
  • 0:00 INTRO
  • 02:43 Evolving City
  • 05:03 NEW SITE - HUALAPAI VALLEY
  • 05:30 THE CIRCLE
  • 08:06 Safety & Accessibility
  • 08:54 AN EXAMPLE
  • 12:19 Maayan Ziv
  • 14:00 Participatory Design
Some of the footage comes from the videos published on the Burning Man official channel: burningman
Check out their work. It's amazing! I do not own any of this footage or any other footage used in this video. I use it only for the purpose of commentary. Please let me know if I missed anyone. :) GET IN TOUCH: If you’d like to talk, I’d love to hear from you! Commenting on a video or tweeting @damileearch will be the quickest way to get a response from me, but if your question is very long, feel free to email me at hello@damilee.com. I try my best to respond to the emails, but unfortunately, there just aren't enough hours in the day! #architecture #burningman

The Mutants of Black Rock
 
(Burning Man Project) Astounding! Unbelievable! Motorized! Witness the relentless onslaught of mighty mutant vehicles into Black Rock City, the home of Burning Man in the Nevada desert. THRILL to giant alien predators on wheels. GASP at the mechanized mayhem of these strange and wonderful art cars. AMAZING! Two years in the making, Mutants of Black Rock is a production from Profiles in Dust, the all-volunteer documentary crew that’s been dealing in playa AWE AND WONDER since 2011. Catch more of their work at vimeo.com/profilesindust. Coming soon from Profiles in Dust: Out of Nothing, the first ever behind-the-scenes look at the building of Black Rock City and the dusty heroes who make it happen. You, too, can be a hero and help make it happen: gofund.me/a3e44a7b

No comments: