Monday, January 18, 2010

Dalai Lama is saddened by huge toll in Haiti



DHARAMSALA, India (IANS, Jan. 16) - Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has expressed solidarity with the families of those who perished in Tuesday’s devastating earthquake in the island nation of Haiti.
In a message to President Rene Preval of the Caribbean nation, the Nobel laureate expressed sympathy and offered prayers for those who have lost their lives. “I am deeply saddened by the loss of so many lives and property… I extend my sympathy and heartfelt condolences to all those families who have been directly affected by what I understand is the worst quake in two centuries in the history of Haiti,” the Dalai Lama, 74, said in the message.

“I offer my prayers for those who have lost their lives in this tragedy and condolences to their families and others affected by this natural disaster,” he said. According to a preliminary estimate by the Haitian Red Cross, 50,000 people were killed in the 7.0 magnitude quake. Source

No comments: