Whites won't stand for a black success story
Wisdom Quarterly Wiki edit
Greenwood is a neighborhood in Tulsa, Oklahoma. As one of the most successful and wealthiest black communities in the United States during the early 20th Century, it was popularly known as America's "Black Wall Street."
That is, it was until the [FBI sabotaged it and inspired what is now referred to as the] Tulsa race riot of 1921, in which white residents massacred black residents and razed the neighborhood within hours.
The riot was one of the most devastating massacres in the history of U.S. race relations, destroying the once thriving Greenwood community.
Within five years after the massacre, surviving residents who chose to remain in Tulsa rebuilt much of the district.
They accomplished this despite the opposition of many white Tulsa political and business leaders and punitive rezoning laws enacted to prevent reconstruction. It resumed being a vital black community until segregation was overturned by the Federal Government during the 1950s and 1960s. Desegregation encouraged blacks to live and shop elsewhere in the city, causing Greenwood to lose much of its original vitality. Since then, city leaders have attempted to encourage other economic development activity nearby. More
- (Chazaq Ban Yasharahla) We need to learn the true heritage of black, aboriginal, and other humans on this world. Blacks are the original everything on this planet. "Blacks" did not only come from Africa but from Europe before others (Moorish art). They were in North-, Central-, and South America before whites (as Olmecs, Natchez, Choctaw, Black Charibs of the Caribbean). Were they the Judeo-Christian tribal God's "chosen people" (African Hebrew Israelites, "Israel" being located entirely in Africa). And blacks once reigned over the whole earth).
- (LoveInspired7) These [blanks] did a d*mn good job of keeping this out of our history books... I'm ashamed to say that I HAD NO IDEA that something like this ever happened until earlier this year, no clue. I found out after seeing a a Facebook post. Who will believe how many of our brothers and sisters had NO IDEA this ever happened?
- (Phillip Nichols) Also look up Rosewood, Florida. Whenever you hear "race riot" prior to the 1960s, it means whites killing, looting, lynching people of color, usually those of African descent. For example, the New York City draft riots of the 1860s, Memphis, Tennessee lynchings of 1870s, and so on. Just look up these and other "race riots" to see what I mean.
- "Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise": First Film on Writer and Activist Chronicles an Extraordinary Life In a Black History Month special, we remember the life and legacy of the legendary poet, playwright and civil rights activist Maya Angelou. For the first time, a documentary has chronicled her...
- War on Wall Street or Wall Street’s Wars? Clinton and Sanders Debate in Wisconsin Democratic presidential candidates Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton faced off Thursday night in the first Democratic debate since Sanders’ decisive...
- Who Endorsed Hillary Clinton? The Congressional Black Caucus or Its PAC Filled with Lobbyists? This week’s endorsement of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for president by the Congressional Black Caucus political action committee prompted some confusion due to a lack of...
- Bernie Sanders on NH Victory: "Tonight We Served Notice to the Political and Economic Establishment" In the Democratic New Hampshire primary, Senator Bernie Sanders beat former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by a margin of 60 to 38 percent. Eight years ago, Clinton won New Hampshire, defeating...
|Community members recall Raleigh man murdered by police officer: During a foot chase a cop claims he was trying to arrest man on drug charges. In the first several hours after the shooting, local television coverage showed police forming a line in the street near the downtown neighborhood where the shooting took place as a number of people gathered behind yellow crime-scene tape that blocked off the area and began chanting "No justice, no peace!"|