Monday, January 11, 2021

Revenge or patience, anger or peace? (sutra)

Deicide, "Scars..."; Dhr. Seven (ed.), Ven. Buddharakkhita (Kakacupama Sutra), Wisdom Quarterly

Once the Buddha gave this peaceful advice to a monastic named Venerable Moliya Phagguna:

"Meditator, if anyone were to reproach you right to your face, even then you should abandon worldly urges and thoughts. Then and there, meditator, train yourself in this way instead:

"'Neither shall my mind be affected by this, nor shall I give vent to harsh words. Rather, I shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of loving-kindness, and I shall not give in to hate.'

"This, meditator, is how to train yourself.

"Meditator, if anyone were to punch you with hand, or hit you with a clod of dirt, or strike you with a stick, or cut you with a sword, even then abandon worldly urges and thoughts.

"Then and there, meditator, train yourself in this way instead: 'Neither shall my mind be affected by this, nor shall I give vent to harsh words. Rather, I shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of loving-kindness, and I shall not give in to hate.'

"This, meditator, is how to train yourself."

Patience?

(Monk Sarana) Ashin explains the importance of practicing patience. Thabarwa Yeiktha, Thanlyin, Burma (Myanmar), April 5, 2019, recorded by Sayalay Ayukalyani with subtitles in Czech, English, and Burmese. To show subtitles use the options button inside the YouTube player. All are also welcome to subscribe for new Dharma videos from this Western Buddhist monk, Ashin Sarana.

No comments: