Friday, May 7, 2021

Native Death Metal and Slipknot (video)

Everything Is Stories, Revolver; Seth Auberon, Xochitl, Pat Macpherson (eds.), Wisdom Quarterly

Metal from the Dirt: Inside the Navajo Reservation's DIY heavy metal scene
(Revolver) "There's a lot of bands, heavy metal bands, on the Navajo Reservation. And for some reason this music, this subculture, seems to [resonate] with the youth," says Jerold Cecil, manager of the Arizona act I Dont Konform.

Ethnomusicologist studies Indian 1916
"What rez metal is — 'rez' is sort of an inside word for 'reservation.' Our brand of metal is different than anybody else...it's blowing up."

For one week in summer the Everything Is Stories creative team traveled to the Southwest, to the Navajo Nation, to document the originators of the DIY rez metal scene and the bands now carrying the torch, including:
  • I Dont Konform
  • Mutilated Tyrant
  • Born of Winter.
It's a First Nation reduced to a reservation.
From a generator-powered show in a desert around the Grand Canyon to a band practicing in a traditional Navajo dwelling called a hogan, this story — told by Navajo (DinĂ©) bands and individuals in the scene — explores the creation of rez metal in the 1980s, the juxtaposition of old and new Navajo traditions, and the link between death metal and Native American pride.

"Skinwalker" (Legends of America)
Getting negative in response to negativity? It worked for Ozzy and Black Sabbath in miserable industrial Birmingham, Britain, when hippies were singing about flower power, incense and peppermints, flowers, acid, and free love.

There's Navajo black magic and skin-walker (yee naaldlooshii) witchcraft in the desolate wilderness of the desert.
.
Directed by Clarke Tolton. Produced by Everything Is Stories (Mike Martinez and Tyler Wray) for Revolver. Director of Photography: Tyler Haft. Edited by Vincent Staropoli. Sound Mixer: George Drake Jr. Executive Producers: Enrique Abeyta, Brandon Geist, Jimmy Hubbard, Skip Williamson, Brad Angle, Mike Martinez, Tyler Wray, Clarke Tolton. Production Coordinator: Sammi Chichester. Music: I Dont Konform, Mutilated Tyrant, Domenic Palermo, J.S. Aurelius, Destruction Unit.

Troubled suburban Whites lead by example
Angry white guys rush to see crazed metal band Slipknot perform close up in Iowa suburb.
(Slipknot, 2009) Whites in suburban Iowa sing along for "Duality" from Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) on Roadrunner Records. See: Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, ​ iTunes.

Slipknot (Viva X El Rock, Peru, November 2019)
LYRICS
: I push my fingers into my eyes/ It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache/ But it's made of all the things I have to take/ Geez, it never ends, it works it's way inside/ 
If the pain goes on/ aargh!

I have screamed until my veins collapsed/ I've waited as my time's elapsed/ Now, all I do is live with so much fate/ I've wished for this/ I've bitched at that/ I've left behind this little fact:/ You cannot kill what you did not create


I've gotta say what I've gotta say/ And then I swear I'll go away/ But I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise/ I guess I'll save the best for last/ My future seems like one big past/ You're left with me 'cause you left me no choice

I push my fingers into my eyes/ It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache/ If the pain goes on, I'm not gonna make it!/ Put me back together/ Or separate the skin from bone/ Leave me all the pieces, then you can leave me alone/ Tell me the reality is better than the dream/ But I found out the hard way, Nothing is what it seems!/

I push my fingers into my eyes/ It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache/ But it's made of all the things I have to take/ Geez, it never ends, it works it's way inside/ If the pain goes on, I'm not gonna make it!/ All I've got...all I've got is insane/ All I've got...all I've got is insane/ All I've got...all I've got is insane!/ All I've got...all I've got is insane...

Concentration Camp extermination in the USA (Dispossession: Indian Removal Act of 1830)

No comments: