Saturday, June 25, 2022

Roe v Wade: Senators say Trump nominees lied

Victoria Bekiempis (The Guardian via MSN); Ashley Wells, CC Liu (eds.), Wisdom Quarterly

Roe v Wade: senators say Trump supreme court nominees misled them
Did Kavanaugh's mother make a mistake?
When the Supreme Court decided on Friday to overturn Roe v Wade, several senators who recently approved the justices responsible for this decision said they felt deceived.

These politicians pointed to prior statements from Trump appointees [discredited rapist] Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch; both white male judges had claimed they would not overturn Roe.

“I feel misled,” Maine Senator Susan Collins told the New York Times. In a lengthy meeting on August 21, 2018, the Republican reportedly grilled candidate Kavanaugh to explain why he could be trusted not to overturn Roe.
“Start with my record, my respect for precedent, my belief that it is rooted in the constitution, and my commitment and its importance to the rule of law,” Kavanaugh responded, per notes taken by “multiple” staffers at the meeting, the Times said.

“I understand precedent, and I understand the importance of overturning it.”
  • Gallery: Here's what each Supreme Court justice said about Roe v. Wade before they were confirmed (Business Insider)...
“Roe is 45 years old, it has been reaffirmed many times, lots of people care about it a great deal, and I’ve tried to demonstrate I understand real-world consequences,” Kavanaugh elaborated, according to these notes, and also claimed, “I am a don’t-rock-the-boat kind of judge. I believe in stability and in the Team of Nine.”

“This decision is inconsistent with what Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh said in their testimony and their meetings with me, where they both were insistent on the importance of supporting longstanding precedents that the country has relied upon,” Collins said in a statement. More

No comments: