Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Can I meditate when I'm depressed?

Sheng Bin Shiu, Swiss Retreat '19 (7:30-38:25); Ellie Askew, Dhr. Seven (ed.), Wisdom Quarterly

I'm too depressed to meditate! I just can't!
Say, for example, a yogi comes to practice and is depressed. I give him all these different [pieces of] information to help him understand how meditation might be helpful so that he’s willing to try and practice.

Different [pieces] of information we get help to settle our minds in different ways. They adjust the attitude of the mind so that it is willing to be mindful.

Although in the end it’s when the attitude is right that the most effective meditation happens, we all start by practicing with wrong attitude. There’s nothing wrong with that: It’s still practice, and we learn from it. More: WISDOM'S ROAR (tejaniyasayadaw.space)

No comments: