Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Trip to Shanghai's Jade Buddha

(blogography.com)

Starting the day early to visit the Temple of the Jade Buddha turned out to be more of an adventure than I thought. I have been skydiving, diving with sharks, bungee jumping, race car driving. I have even been held up at knife-point twice and had many other adventures throughout my life.

But all pale in comparison to taking a taxi through the streets of Shanghai, China. It was especially disturbing considering the driver didn't know the location of the temple (despite being a famous landmark). He had a map in his face a good portion of the time.

By the time I got to the temple, I was ready to shave my head and become a monk so as not to have to go through that again. But the temple itself is sweet and well worth the dangerous journey to get there. Photos are not allowed of the actual Jade Buddha (which is exquisitely beautiful), but there is plenty to photograph.


I particularly like the little lion guardians everywhere around the temple, many with red "wish ribbons" tied around them. On the way out, I pass through the gift shop to get a wooden "Happy Buddha" statue to take back with me. Given my luck with taxis, I can use it. More>>

Story and photos by David Simmer II; additional editing by WQ

No comments: