|Think about how shitty this is for me.|
|We're organic robots going in a circle.|
|Where are we going on this round, this "continued wandering on" called samsara?|
"Now, Venerable Nāgasena [an enlightened Buddhist monk living around Afghanistan], the person who is reborn, is he the same as the one
who has died or is he another?"
"[That person is] neither the same nor another" (na ca so na ca añño).
"Give me an example."
"What do you think, O king: Are you now, as a grown up, the same as you were as a young and tender babe?"
"No, venerable sir. Another person was the young and tender babe, but
quite a different person am I now as a grown up man."...
"...Is perhaps in the first part of the night one candle burning, another one
in the middle part, and yet another in the last part?"
"No, venerable sir. The light during the whole night depends on one and the
- "Just so, O king, is the chain of phenomena linked together. One phenomenon arises, another vanishes, yet all are linked together, one after another, without interruption. In this way one reaches the final state of consciousness [in one life immediately linked to rebirth in another life] neither as the same person nor as another person.''
|Hooray, we'll get to see each other again and again! - Will this rebirth wheel never end?|
But if such beings are reborn in the sensuous sphere as humans, they will be crippled, blind, deaf, mentally deficient, and so on. (Rebirth-consciousness = Tab. I, No. 41).
- punabbhava, "renewed existence" and
- abhi-nibbatti "arising"
- or both combined as punabbhavābhinibbatti. (App.: patisandhi).
- The Path of Purification (Vis.M. XVII, 133f, 164f, 189f, 289f; Vis.M. XIX, 22f.)
- Karma and Rebirth by Ven. Nyanatiloka Thera (BPS.lk, Wheel 9)
- The Case for Rebirth by Francis Story (Wheel 12/13)
- Survival and Karma in Buddhist Perspective by K. N. Jayatilleke (Wheel 141/143)
- Rebirth Explained by V. F. Gunaratna (Wheel 167/169)
- Buddhist Studies: Rebirth (BuddhaNet.net)
- The Path of Purification and Path to Freedom (PDF)