|Drug addict Sugarnose Barbie knows how to party on a budget (weheartit.com)|
- "Led by desire one perpetrates unwholesome actions.
- Provoked by anger one performs unskillful deeds.
- Motivated by delusion one engages in demeritorious conduct.
- Stirred by fear one produces harmful karma.
|Smoking on that gas with a mask (Julia Ferguson/flickr)|
|"Liquid Ignorance" (npr.org)|
The Buddha further asked, "What are the six channels for dissipating wealth that one avoids pursuing?
- "Indulging in intoxicants which occasion heedlessness,
- roaming the streets at unseemly hours,
- frequenting unsavory shows,
- being infatuated with gambling,
- associating with the foolish,
- being addicted to idleness."
- "loss of wealth,
- increase in quarrels,
- susceptibility to disease,
- loss of reputation,
- indecent exposure,
- weakened intellect.
|What if I, Barbie, were to get high and get a Snookie makeover? Aarrgh!|
"There are, young householder, these six harmful consequences to roaming the streets at unseemly hours:
- "You are unprotected and unguarded.
- Your spouse and children are unprotected and unguarded.
- Your property is unprotected and unguarded.
- You are suspected of crimes.
- You are the subject of false rumors.
- You encounter many troubles.
- "Where is there dancing?
- Where is there singing?
- Where is there music playing?
- Where is there reciting?
- Where is there this entertainment?
- Where is there that entertainment?
- "One is despised due to winning.
- One grieves on account of losing.
- One dissipates one’s wealth.
- One’s word is not relied on.
- One comes to be disparaged by friends and associates.
- One, unable to properly support another, is not much sought after."
- "Any gambler,
- any wastrel,
- any drunkard,
- any cheater,
- any swindler,
- any violent person
- "It’s too cold!
- It’s too hot!
- It’s too late in the evening!
- It’s too early in the morning!
- I’m too hungry!
- I’m too full!"
|Buddha, Afghanistan (Gandhara)|
|Wall Street is one h-ll of a place to be a Buddhist, dealing drugs, laundering profits, owning wage-slaves, and trafficking living beings in a three-piece suit as a banker, broker, or rainmaker (elephantjournal.com)|
- trade in weapons,
- trade in human beings (slavery, etc.),
- trade in flesh (which includes pimping, human trafficking, breeding animals for slaughter, transporting beings, etc.),
- trade in intoxicants (drug and/or alcohol dealing),
- trade in poisons (which would seem to include ignorantly dealing in toxic allopathic pharmaceuticals).
- NOTE: If we go to jail for a misdeed, that is NOT the karmic result. That is simply a mundane consequence. The karmic result will be experienced as mental resultants (vipaka, grievous sensations, remorse, misgivings, regret, misery, psychosomatic troubles) and fruits (phala, unwelcome circumstances, fruitions, ripening of deeds.]
|Happy Hotei at the altar (DanieljDyer/flickr.com)|
|Happy as a bodhisattva (Moondoxy/flickr)|
Anonymous Reader 3,961,953
- Q: Hey, what about "mind expanding drugs" -- entheogens, natural DMT, pineal gland hormones, magic mushrooms, IBOGA, rye mold extract (LSD), harmine, peyote cactus, ayahuasca, daime, tsentsak, natemä -- or Jerri Blank's Glint, Ecstasy, Lando Griffin's Toad, Limitless, and the like?
- A: Do they lead to heedlessness?
- I don't know.
- Q: Why are you trying to live by hard-and-fast rules and absolute axioms when you are an adult capable of making decisions, distinguishing harmless from harmful actions, and living as if this is your life?
- I don't know.
- A: Yeah then, our advice, don't take drugs. Grow up instead.
- But in some articles Wisdom Quarterly seemed to be saying that DMT...
- Grow up, Arthur Jackson!