|Hug of altruistic love (metta, boundless friendliness) for all the world (pariyatti.org)|
|This work of poems by Ian McCrorie, a Vipassana teacher appointed by S.N. Goenka|
|Sometimes men just don't get it. Give it a rest!|
Practicing vipassana (insight meditation) will help us purify our minds/hearts so we can eradicate defilements like passion and selfish "love," which have craving as their base.
|Loving-Kindness (S. Salzberg)|
Lovely titles on metta
- joy in the joy of others
He states that from "I" we increase the sphere of wrong view as we start forming selfish images and images of others around us -- "my son," "my wife," "my husband," and so on. While fabricating these images we develop a great deal of attachment.
One day after a one-day sitting, the king asks his wife, “Whom do you love the most in the world?” The queen smiles and answers: “The same question came to my mind while meditating, and I realized ‘I love myself’ [yet] I don’t love anybody.”
About whom you say ‘mine’…you got a dream, you got certain aspirations, Goenka explains. “You want that person to fulfill that dream, and that’s why you are loving them. Your love is expecting something in return. And when you are expecting anything in return, you are not loving this person.
“You are loving yourself. You are loving your own aspirations, you are loving your dreams. It's self-centered love. It doesn’t help. Pure love is one-way traffic; you just give.”
The Buddha emphasized the importance of friends on the path by saying that friendship is not half the path, as Ananda stated, but rather the whole of the path (or the monastic meditative life). Lesson 3.1.8 from ETP is called Upaḍḍhasuttaṃ, “The Importance of Kalyāṇa-mitta (friendship on the path).”
- Pariyatti.org is a charitable, nonprofit, educational support system for the Dharma community. Pariyatti exists because of funds donated by supporters. FACT: Did you know that Pariyatti provides Vipassana Meditation Centers worldwide with English books for The Four Foundations of Mindfulness (Satipatthana Sutra) courses in the tradition of S.N. Goenka free of charge?
- Pariyatti [Publishers]
- 867 Larmon Rd.
- Onalaska, WA 98570, USA
- More information: pariyatti.org
- Why NASA is keeping tabs on Elon Musk's roadster
- 'I love this s***... I thrive on it,' sheriff says after deadly pursuit
- Top official at railroad safety agency resigns
- Two Ohio police officers shot, killed
- Israeli F-16 jet crashes after Syrian fire
- Opinion: Democrats sold out Dreamers
- 'House of Cards' actor Reg E. Cathey dies
- Coach abused me and took nude photos, former world champion swimmer says
- Oxfam hit with pay-for-sex allegations\
- You're not lazy. Need some personal growth?
- Nicole Eggert accuses Scott Baio of repeatedly molesting her as a minor
- PHOTOS: Strangest things you will see on the subway
- Fake, fake, fake: Tesla orbits Elon Musk SpaceX
- It's time for a serious talk about the science of tech "addiction"