Friday, July 9, 2021

"JC Semi-Star" - the Slacker problem (video)

Jack Black, Bob Odenkirk, David Cross (Mr. Show with Bob and David); Eds., Wisdom Quarterly

How's it possible, living in The Valley and hanging around with the likes of Sarah Silverman and other up-and-coming comedians, that two geniuses land a deal with HBO to make their own show?
And not only that, miles away I'm watching it not knowing what I'm seeing. I didn't even know I had HBO. It came with the apartment. I would come home, turn on this show, I could never remember the name of it (Mr. Show with Bob and David), and laugh like there was no today.


Forget about tomorrow. I guess I was a "slacker." Who could ever dream of the stuff they were making fun of or gently teasing and ripping apart. And the brilliance of the show is that one skit melted into the other without a break.

So first there's a guy with odd pets, then a pet funeral, then a flashback to Jesus Christ Superstar, not the Broadway play but the bigtime Hollywood movie. So funny. Whatever happened to Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) and poor little David Cross (Arrested Development, Modern Family).

It seems Jack Black (Tenacious D) landed on his feet, too. To think Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla were smoking weed somewhere nearby as well as those guys from all those juvenile coming of age movies, all in The Valley in the shadow of the Hollywood sign.

No comments: