WASHINGTON — A federal appeals court has put a lawsuit against the CIA on hold temporarily, disagreeing with a lower court judge who claimed the agency was hiding behind dubious national security arguments to shield itself from potential embarrassment.
The decision by a federal appeals panel to grant an emergency stay will likely put off the questioning of a key witness in the case. The CIA has argued that allowing the case to proceed would divulge classified information.
Last week, U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth rejected a similar request to put the case on hold. In an opinion written last week, but made public on Friday, Lamberth said there was no good reason to delay. In the suit, a former Drug Enforcement Administration agent claims the CIA illegally wiretapped his home when stationed in Rangoon, Burma in 1993. The agent, Richard Horn, said he became suspicious when he returned from a trip to find his government-issued rectangular coffee table had been replaced with a round one.
The case has been a test of the Obama administration's use of the so-called state secrets privilege, when the government seeks to block legal action by saying the details that would be revealed would harm national security.
Administration officials have pledged to review all state secrets claims made by the previous Bush administration, but in many cases the government is still asserting the need to prevent disclosures that it says would harm national security. More>>
Court temporarily halts CIA secrets case (AP)
Judge scolds CIA in secrets case (eTaiwan News)
Judge chides CIA in secrets case (AP)