LOS ANGELES - In October, before starting an international theater tour, the songwriter Lana Del Rey consulted a clairvoyant. She was instructed to write down four questions in advance and sleep on them. The first question on the list, Ms Del Rey said in an interview in May at her house her, was "Am I meant for this world?" It's probably not the kind of question most multimillion-selling pop singers would ask themselves with their careers clearly ascendant... More
|I'm mostly harmless.|
In an interview with Grazia magazine, she explains:
|Lana Del Rey and Lady Gaga (rapgenius.com)|
- Lana Del Rey still stirs things up with "Ultraviolence" In her new album, “Ultraviolence,” Lana Del Rey sets herself further outside whatever passes for current pop mainstream.
- Popcast: Lana Del Rey, downcast superstar (June 27, 2014) “Ultraviolence” hits No. 1 on Billboard's
- Lana Del Rey Becomes a Star (Feb. 2012) For some reason, Lana Del Rey and her sultry songs drive some people nuts.
|The downcast superstar Lana Del Rey (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com, June 27, 2014)|
|Sensual and emotional obsessions are like burning at the stake (Lana Del Rey/West Coast)|
|At home with Elvis portrait (NYT)|
SUTRA: Seven Obsessions
Dhr. Seven and Crystal Quintero (trans.), Wisdom Quarterly (Anusaya Sutras 1 and 2 from the Anguttara Nikaya, "Numerical Discourses," Book of the Sevens, AN 7.11/AN 7.12)
|Theravada novices attend to the Buddha in Burma (Oscar Tarneberg/otarneberg/flickr)|
- the obsession of sensual passion (craving),
- the obsession of resentment (anger),
- the obsession of (speculative) views,
- the obsession of uncertainty (doubt),
- the obsession of conceit (pride),
- the obsession of passion for continued becoming (bhava-raga, for continued existence in fine-material and immaterial spheres),
- the obsession of ignorance.
"With the abandoning and destruction of these seven obsessions, the supreme life is fulfilled.
"When, for a meditator, the obsession of sensual passion has been abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump [that will not regrow once topped off], deprived of the supportive conditions of development, not destined for rearising.
|I am so obsessed and so unenlightened.|
|Bondage then death by cop|