|Pope Francis visits Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka to spread colonial-era Catholicism|
|Buddhist monk, Roman Catholic Pope Francis, and Hindu sadhu in Sri Lanka|
A national curfew has been put in place "until further notice," and social media networks have been temporarily blocked.
- [NOTE: This was done to stem the spread of rumors on social media, in the event people want to jump to conclusions and blame Islamist radicals, which have never been a problem on the island, or the Hindu Tamil Tiger rebels with whom they fought the longest civil war in Asia, a war that wrapped up nearly a decade ago with many Hindus still being oppressed and abused by the Sinhalese Buddhist majority and the Sinhalese-dominated government, military, and police. It is possible that Buddhist extremists led by politicized monks are to blame.]
- Live updates: Sri Lanka explosions
- "I thought we had left all this violence behind us"
- British citizens caught in blasts
Sri Lanka's defense minister has said the attacks were probably carried out by one group.
What's the latest from the scene?
|Pope Francis in gold Buddhist robe, Sri Lanka|
St. Sebastian's Church in Negombo was severely damaged in one explosion, with dozens killed at the site.
Images from inside showed blood on the pews and the building's ceiling shattered. More
|Los Angeles, California, has an annual Sri Lanka Day in Pasadena (slday.com).|
- Extinction Rebellion to 'pause' London protests
- More female teachers report upskirting, says union
- Millions using 123456 as password, security study finds
- Backpacker jailed in Thailand for 'picking up phone' returns
- The Queen attends an Easter service on her 93rd birthday
- Ilkley Moor fire: Arrests made over blaze
- Brexit: Labour must back another referendum - Tom Watson
- Sri Lanka explosions: Five Britons killed in blasts
- SpaceX capsule suffers 'anomaly' during tests in Florida