Monday, May 15, 2017

Stress-Free Zone: Serenity Meditation (sutra)

Amber Larson, Crystal Quintero, CC Liu (eds.), Wisdom Quarterly; Ven. Thanissaro (trans.), Samatha Sutra, "Discourse on Serenity Meditation" (AN 10.54); definitions by Ven. Nyanatiloka


Strive for serenity and insight.
[The Buddha taught:] "Even if a meditator is unskilled in the ways of the minds of others [unable to read their minds], one should train: 'I will be skilled in reading my own mind.'
 
"And how is a meditator skilled in reading her own mind? Imagine a young woman -- or man -- fond of adornment, examining her image in a bright, clean mirror or bowl of clear reflective water: If she saw any dirt or blemish on her face, she would try to remove it immediately. If she saw no dirt or blemish, she would be pleased, her resolution fulfilled: 'How fortunate I am! How clean I am!'

I'm effervescent with zest from blamelessness
"In the same way, a meditator's self-examination is very productive in terms of skillful qualities [if one conduct oneself in this way]: 'Am I one who achieves internal [as opposed to superficial] serenity of mind (heart), or am I one who does not? Am I one who achieves insight into phenomena through wisdom (the heightened ability to discern), or am I one who does not?'"
 
"On examination, if one knows, 'I am one who achieves internal serenity but not insight into the true nature of [all] phenomena through heightened discernment,' then one's duty is to make an effort for the maintenance of internal serenity of mind and for insight into phenomena through heightened discernment.

"At a later time one will then be one who achieves both internal serenity of mind and insight into phenomena through heightened discernment.
No amount of shampoo will cleanse mind
"But if, on examination, the meditator knows, 'I am one who achieves insight into phenomena through heightened discernment but not internal serenity of mind,' then one's duty is to make an effort for the maintenance of insight into phenomena through heightened discernment and for internal serenity of mind.

"At a later time one will then be one who achieves both insight into phenomena through heightened discernment and internal serenity of mind.
 
"But if, on examination, the meditator knows, 'I am one who achieves neither internal serenity of mind nor insight into phenomena through heightened discernment,' then that meditator should put forth extra drive, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, and attentiveness for gaining those skillful qualities.

"Just as when a person whose hat or head is on fire puts forth extra drive, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, and attentiveness to put out that [dangerous] fire, in the same way, a meditator should put forth extra drive, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, and attentiveness for gaining those skillful qualities.
 
"But if, on examination, the meditator knows, 'I am one who achieves both internal serenity of mind and insight into phenomena through heightened discernment,' then one's duty is to make effort in maintaining those skillful qualities to a higher degree for the ending of the defilements of the heart/mind.
  
Things to use, things not
Look at all this s I got! Everybody's going to be so jealous, but my credit cards are maxed.
 
"Meditators, I speak of robes in two ways, those to be partaken of and not. I also speak of alms food... lodgings... villages and towns... countrysides... individuals in two ways, those to be partaken of and those not.
 
"'Meditators, I speak of clothes in two ways, those to be partaken of and those not.' Thus was it said, and with reference to what was this said? Any [article of clothing] of which one has come to know, 'When I partake of this, unskillful qualities increase and skillful qualities decrease,' that sort of clothing is not to be partaken of.

"Any item of which one has come to know, 'When I partake of this, unskillful qualities decrease and skillful qualities increase,' that sort of item should be partaken of.'
 
"'Meditators, I speak of clothes in two ways, those to be partaken of and those not.' It was said with reference to this.
 
"'Meditators, I also speak of food in two ways...'
 
"'Meditators, I also speak of lodgings in two ways...'
 
"'Meditators, I also speak of towns in two ways...'
 
"'Meditators, I also speak of regions in two ways...'
 
"'Meditators, I also speak of individuals in two ways, those to be partaken of and those not.*'
  • *The word sevitabba, when used to refer to material items, is usually translated as "to be partaken of." But when used to refer to people, it is usually translated as "to be associated with." The former translation has been kept to maintain the pattern of the original language and to point out the fact that when one associates with another person, one internalizes that person's skillful or unskillful qualities and views.
"Thus was it said, and with reference to what was this said? Any individual of whom one has come to know, 'When I partake of this individual, unskillful qualities increase and skillful qualities decrease,' that sort of individual should not to be partaken of.

"Any individual of whom one has come to know, 'When I partake of this individual, unskillful qualities decrease and skillful qualities increase,' that sort of individual is to be partaken of.'

"Meditators, I speak of individuals in two ways, those to be partaken of and those not.' It was said with reference to this."

No comments: