Monday, August 24, 2026

Is 99% of modern yoga fake 'bhoga'?

I'm ready for yoga! I did the most important thing. I bought this outfit that really shows my...
(Miska Käppi) I studied yoga for 20 years, and 99% was fake

OK, they say never drink before yoga class, but I think a little booze is not bad. Oops!!!

  • Bhoja is not bogus; it is "something done for enjoyment," according to B.K.S. Iyengar, says Miska Käppi, as many bhojis calling themselves "yogis" practice nowadays.
  • Opposites — Ashtanga Yoga Sanskrit
  • Yoga is not a lot of twisting, breathing, or jumping around in a modern studio; it is to "unite," to bring about "union" of the self (atman, "soul") with Brahman (the Ultimate) and/or breath (prana, "holy spirit"), the conventional divine (Brahma, the Creator), Vishnu (the Preserver) usually nowadays in the form of Shiva, the Destroyer
What looks like a repeating gif is actually a remarkable stunt
Yoga postures for balance, strength, and flexibility
Messianic Bikram Choudhury as persecuted Christ figure
  • What is "the real thing"? One answer is The Eightfold Path: Ashtanga (Integral Yoga sometime Raja/Royal Yoga), a system of achieving "union" with the divine by the practice of eight limbs of the path: Yamas (external disciplines), Niyamas (internal disciplines), Asanas (physical postures), Pranayama (breath control), Pratyahara (sense withdrawal), Dharama (concentration), Dhyana (meditative absorptions, jhanas), and Samadhi (union, integration, coherence). The whole purpose of Yoga -- at least in ancient times between gurus and chelas (teachers and disciples) -- is MEDITATION. Asanas (lit. "seats") allow one to sit longer, more comfortably, and with stability. That is to say, practicing for the meditative absorptions is to reach of Samadhi. Who can say otherwise?



No comments: