(Buddhism Podcast) When death comes, what truly matters? | Buddhist Wisdom
Some are as if dead already
![]() |
| Things can wait. What's the rush? |
The heedful do not die*
![]() |
| I'll do what can be done right now. |
In the Theravada Pāli canon, a vast collection of the historical Buddha's earliest teachings, the term appamāda is very significant. The essence of its meaning cannot be captured with a single English word. "Heedfulness," "diligence," and "conscientiousness" all capture certain aspects of appamāda. It is identified as one of the 11 virtuous mental factors in the Mahayana Abhidharma teachings. More
- *One will never again die when one gets off of the samsaric cycle of endless "wandering on" of rebirths chasing fulfillment that is not to be found.
- Nirvana is "the deathless" (amata, amrita, ambrosia)
- The Four Right Efforts: (1) The effort to prevent the non-arising of harmful, unskillful things that have not yet arisen. (2) The effort to abandon harmful, unskillful things that have already arisen. (3) The effort to promote the arising of skillful things that have not yet arisen. (4) The effort to maintain, develop, and bring to culmination what has already arisen.
![]() |
| Watch my death-defying jump against nature! |
Five Recollections of the Upajjhatthana Sutta
![]() |
| What did the historical Buddha teach? |
- I am sure to become old; I cannot avoid aging.
I am subject to aging, have not gone [gotten] beyond aging. - I am sure to become ill; I cannot avoid illness.
I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness. - I am sure to die; I cannot avoid death.
I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death. - I am subject to separation and loss, parted from all that is dear and loved by me.
I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me. - I am the owner of my actions (karma), heir of my actions, actions are the womb (from which I have sprung and will be reborn), actions are my relations, actions are my protection. Whatever actions I do, skillful or unskillful, of these I shall be the heir [2].
I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, wholesome or unwholesome, to that will I fall heir [3].
![]() |
| Cultivate all eight factors of the Path |
Since the Buddha redefined karma as "intention" (cetana, the decisive intent underlying a deed or action) in the Nibbedhika Sutta, intention or intentionally-committed actions may be better translations of "karma" in the fifth recollection. More






%20greco%20buddhist%20art,%20wiki.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment