|Erotic Greek Eros, Roman Cupid, Vedic/Buddhist/Jain/Hindu Kamadeva (wiki)|
|Woman overcome by sensuality under Cupid's influence or control (chanteuse Lana Del Rey)|
|Mara as Stewie as Cupid as Satan|
"Shiva Turns Kama to Ashes" Madan-Bhasma, cupidity destroyed ().
|Kamadeva (Mara, Eros, Cupid) shooting his "love-arrow" at Shiva (BritishMuseum.org)|
- The name Kamadeva (kāma-deva) can be translated as "god of love." Kama (kāma) means "desire" or "longing," especially as in sensual or sexual love (eros). Deva means heavenly or divine, referring to general classes of beings superior in many ways to humans. The name is used in the Rig Veda (RV 9, 113. 11). Kamadeva is a name of Vishnu in the history Vishnu Purana and the Bhagavata Purana (SB 5.18.15) and of Krishna [the all-attractive Lucifer-like beauty Kanha, the very comely "Dark One"] as well as of Shiva.
- Kāmadeva [Cupid to the Romans] is represented as a young, handsome winged man with green skin [green is the color of the heart chakra] who wields a bow and arrow. His bow is made of sugarcane with a string of honeybees, and his arrows are decorated with five kinds of fragrant flowers. More
|The Roman god Cupid|
- Mara the deva or deity (māra-devaputta)
- Mara of the defilements (kilesa-māra)
- Mara of the aggregates (khandha-māra)
- Mara of the karma-formations (karma-māra)
- Mara as death (maccu-māra).
|"I am your victim, Cupid" - Lana|
- [*The kind of enlightenment, known as samma-sambodhi, that would enable him to effectively teach the Dharma that makes known to the practitioner the path to enlightenment and the liberation of nirvana.]
|Mara bas relief in Gandhara|
For (3) Mara as the aggregates, see S. XXIII, 1, 11, 12, 23. See the Padhāna Sutra (Sn. v. 425ff.); Māra Samyutta (S. IV).