Thursday, December 5, 2013

The (Buddhist) Prayer of St. Francis

Steven Goodheart (FB); Gary Saunders, Seth Auberon, Wisdom Quarterly
St. Francis, Essenes, earliest Christians lived like Buddhist monastics (gardenvisit.com)
Kwan Yin/Virgin with child shows evidence of religious syncretism (Dale in China)
 
Good St. Francis and the animals
May I be an agent of love in this world.
Where there is hatred, let me bring loving-kindness;
Where there is injury, forgiveness;
Where there is doubt, insight;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
May I console as well as be consoled.
May I understand as well as be understood;
May I love as well as be loved;
For in giving we receive;
In forgiving, we are forgiven;
In dying to self-centeredness, we are born to the deathless.
...Buddhas only point the way (hkoppdelaney)
The Buddha: "As a mother would risk her life to protect her child, her only child, even so should one cultivate a limitless heart with toward all beings. With a boundless heart should one cherish all living beings, radiating kindness over the entire world" (SN I, 8).

No comments: