|Buddhist novices or samaneras (wellhappypeaceful.com)|
|Monastic doll, Thailand (ChristyB30/flickr)|
|Wondering and wondering would keep one revolving in fruitless doubt (Nyanamoli)|
- Have I been in the past [in past lives]?
- Have I not been in the past?
- What have I been in the past?
- How have I been in the past?
- From what state into what state did I change in the past?
- Shall I be in the future?
- Shall I not be in the future?
- What shall I be in the future?
- How shall I be in the future?
- From what state into what state shall I change in the future?
- Am I?
- Am I not?
- What am I?
- How am I?
- From whence has this being come?
- Where will it go?"
- What is suffering?
- What is the cause of suffering?
- What is the cessation of suffering?
- What is the way to the cessation of suffering?
|The Buddha delivering the first sutra or "sermon" to the five ascetics (and countless devas) in the Deer Park, in the suburbs of ancient Varanasi, India|
Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living at Benares in the Deer Park at Isipatana (the "Resort of Seers"). There he addressed the group of five ascetics [his former companions prior to his enlightenment].