Sunday, January 28, 2024

Sad song of the past: "Forgiven" with Alanis

Alanis Morrisette live, studio; Eds., Wisdom Quarterly

You cut his dick and nearly drowned him?!!
Wow, the beautiful and talented Canadian Alanis Morrisette rose to prominence with a great introductory album, Jagged Little Pill (1995), shattering all kinds of records. How could one person be so talented with such a warbly voice? Content, authenticity, really pouring her guts out or having a good co-writer to add that theater scene that Full House protagonist says he doesn't remember happening. "Ironic" isn't ironic, but how could "Forgiven" not have been a breakout hit? Would only recovering Catholics understand? C'mon, guilt is all over the Abrahamic faiths. More people must have gotten it. Ahh, it's unfair -- girls as the butt of that religion being the biggest fans (in total numbers) of that religion. But it hooks a person, and there's almost no way out. Too much fear, guilt, recriminations for even dreaming of leaving it behind. Caesar's Messiah: The Romans sure pulled off some powerful psyops in reinventing a faith for an empire to be taken in until there's no way out. Joseph Atwill explains it pretty well.
LYRICS: You know how us Catholic girls can be/ We make up for so much time, a little too late/ I never forgot it, confusing as it was/ No fun with no guilt feelings/ The sinners, the saviors, the loverless priests/ I'll see you next Sunday

[Chorus] We all had our reasons to be there/ We all had a thing or two to learn/ We all needed something to cling to/ So we did

I sang Alleluia in the choir (Alleluia)/ I confessed my darkest deeds to an envious man/ My brothers, they never went blind for what they did/ But I may as well have/ In the name of the Father, the Skeptic. and the Son/ I had one more stupid question

[Chorus]

What I learned I rejected, but I believe again/ I will suffer the consequence of this inquisition/ If I jump in this fountain, will I be forgiven?

[Chorus]

We all had delusions in our heads/ We all had our minds made up for us/ We had to believe in something/ So we did

We all had our reasons to be there/ We all had a thing to learn/ We all needed something to cling to/ So we did

So we did/ Ooh-ooh, I, I, I/ So we did

No comments: