We have the great Greek philosopher Plato to thank for the ongoing obsession with the lost city [actually a continent] of Atlantis. Around 360 BCE, Plato wrote that Atlantis was a great and wonderful empire destroyed some 11,000 years before by earthquakes and floods during a 24-hour period. Here are just some of the many theories advanced over the years about where and what Atlantis was:
Mayans, Mexico, or Egypt
|Aztecs, Mayans in pre-Mexico, Tlatelolco|
|Mexico City when it was Tenochtitlan|
|Is it an underwater city like Mexico?|
- Azores underwater pyramid discovered: Atlantis Pyramid discovered underwater off the coast of Terceira Island.
- Location hypotheses of Atlantis (wiki) One of the suggested places for Atlantis is around the Azores Islands, a group of islands belonging to Portugal...
- VIDEO: Atlantis Azores: pyramid, city discovered underwater
- Azores : Lost Continent of Atlantis
- "Sao Miguel and the Azores: Misty Fragments of Atlantis"
- Atlantis in the Azores (Atlantis Rising Magazine) The sunken city was out of place in the Bahamas but must lie, he believed, among the Azores.
- UPDATED! Underwater pyramid found in Azores
- Lost City of Atlantis may been found National Geographic documentary called "Atlantis Rising"
|The 9 Azores Islands, mountain tops of the continent of Atlantis, Portugal's Açores|
|Volcanic cliffs of the mysterious Azores Islands|
Spain, Mediterranean, or Ireland
|Irish-Atlantis, submerged North Sea shoal|
|Ireland: Land of the Pharaohs by Andrew Power (Egypt linked to Atlantis)|
- In Search of Noah's Ark and Atlantis
- More Slate features heard on Day to Day
- From fish with human-like teeth to a fox frozen in ice: Mother Nature's dark side revealed
- VIDEO: Has lost city of Atlantis been found at last?