Thursday, January 24, 2013

Overcoming Depression; on my way to India

Yogini Ashley Turner (ashleyturner.org); Wisdom Quarterly

Ashley Turner Yoga (yogavibes.com)
Dreams do come true! And so mine begins. I'm writing this en route from Los Angeles to Philly to Zurich to New Delhi to Allahabad!
 
I have never been to India. Truthfully, I was a little intimidated until a year ago. I felt a deep stirring in my bones: the Motherland was beckoning.
 
Something inside me shifted, and I was ready to journey to the birthplace of yoga.

A yatra is a "spiritual pilgrimage" to sacred sites such as the confluence of great rivers, the birthplace of deities (devas), magnificent temples [or the enlightenment place of a universal teacher]. 

For traditional Hindus, the journey itself is as important as the destination. Overcoming the hardships of travel serve as acts of devotion in and of themselves. One is meant to travel barefoot (or in air sandals) and with as few possessions as possible.


(I did my best, but as a shameless over-packer, I only dream of minimizing). This is the deepest dive of my life, a perfect pivot point in my journey through samsara. I empty; I receive.
 
Bowing
Today, I bow an infinite number of pranams that the path of yoga was bestowed on me.
I bow to my root teacher, Govindas, and all the great ones who have followed.
I bow to all as my continued inspiration and support.
I bow to family, colleagues, and friends who sustain and nurture me.
I bow to all beloveds for opening my heart and showing me the way to love and be loved, to see and be seen. 
I bow to the hardships that have passed fertilizing my life.
I bow to Psyche, the depths of which I have only begun to understand.
I bow to the infinite light within us -- within you, me, and all the world.
I bow to the God, Goddess, Spirit, Great One, Universe, Truth our mystery serves.

May we all hear the whisper of Spirit and find the courage to answer Her call. Where your heart leads, your joy lives. Join me on Instagram and share the magic of this epic ride.

No comments: