|The megalopolis of Los Angeles is long and wide with no center, not even downtown.|
|As 8th most expensive city, people live in tents by concrete rivers. LA sheriff warns couple under a freeway in Pico Rivera, an LA suburb, about flooding danger (Irfan Khan/LA Times).|
|Homeless camp next to concrete LA River in Highland Park by DTLA (Christopher Weber/AP)|
|Enjoying nature in S.E. Asia: young boy and Buddhist novice (samanera) sit in river (NJ).|
Heavy rain and wind forecast around LA this afternoon
A strong, fast-moving Pacific storm is expected to bring heavy rain and winds to the Southland Friday afternoon, threatening to generate landslides and mud flows in fire-stripped areas.
- Southern California's largest Native American Pow Wow at Cal State University Long Beach all weekend (free).
- Visit Descansco Gardens in La Canada/Flintridge where the Cherry Blossom Festival (free with admission) is taking place.
- See the Wisteria Festival in the City of Monrovia (free).
- Visit a dead Reagan at control freak Nancy's big bon voyage party (long lines but free), Simi Valley Reagan Library Funeral with First Lady Michael (Michelle) Obama and some former first ladies or watch it live free at KPCC.org. Here's a video about her liberal Hollywood Democrat turned Washington Republican conservative husband, Ronald. (First there was Ronald, then the Mac (Irish Mc O'Bama), and now the Donald, Ronald McDonald ruling the US of A? Hmm, odd that. Bernie to the rescue! "Friends and family remember Nancy Reagan as more than a first lady."
|Former First Lady Nancy Reagan|
- The best source for all that goes on in the City of Angels is the L.A. Weekly, a free, independent publication which comes out every Thursday. It's better than the world-famous LA Times, which is trying to be bigger than the NY Times so has little time or interest in local news nowadays.
|Kai Ryssdal's "Marketplace" on APM goes to gentrified Highland Park (yorkandfig.com).|
- Next weekend, Saturday, March 19th, it's Fig Jam between Ave. 50 and Ave. 60 (free) in the uber-hipster super gentrified area of Highland Park, 10:00 am to 8:00 pm, family-friendly arts, culture, food, bilingual. Get free food tasting tickets starting at 10:00 am.
|Erik Daniel Garcia|
|Why Donald Trump will never be president of the United States|
- Watch the R-rated comedy "Deadpool" (again) as Betty White recommended:
|Evening with StoryCorps' Dave Isay|
|Learning language through performance|