The Thirty-One Planes of Existence
Onto these planes beings are reborn during their long coursing through samsara, the Wheel of Life and Death or literally the "Continued Wandering On [Through Rebirth]."
These realms are accessible to those who have attained at least some level of meditative absorption and who have thereby managed to (temporarily) suppress aversion and ill-will.
The beings here are said to possess extremely refined bodies of pure light.
The highest of these realms, the "Pure Abodes," are accessible only to those who have attained to the third stage of enlightenment or awakening called "non-returning."
|Pleiadian (deva) arrival to Earth: aliens|
The Sensual Sphere (kama-loka) consists of 11 realms [including the human world which is much bigger than our minuscule earth] in which experience -- both pleasurable and unpleasant -- is dominated by the five senses.
|Buddhist, Jain, Vedic "UFO" = vimana.|
|Welcome, light beings! Follow the stupa/pagoda built as a mandala (Boudhanath, Nepal)|
- Sources: Buddhist Dictionary, Ven. Nyanatiloka (Kandy: BPS.lk, 1980)
- The Buddhist Religion: A Historical Introduction (4th ed.), R.H. Robinson & W.L. Johnson (Belmont, California: Wadsworth, 1997)
- The Long Discourses of the Buddha (introduction), Maurice Walshe, trans. (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 1987)
- A Manual of Abhidhamma, Ven. Narada Thera (Kuala Lumpur: Buddhist Missionary Society, 1979)
- The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha (introduction), Ven. Ñanamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi, trans. (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 1995)
- Teacher of the Devas (Wheel Publication 414/416), Susan Elbaum Jootla (Kandy: BPS.lk, 1997)
- The Three Worlds (wall chart) Ven. Acaro Suvanno
- See also: Intentional Action (Karma)
- Buddhist Heavens (sagga)
- The Round of Rebirth (samsara)
|Help prepare for Disclosure by learning to practice meditation (Pasadharma)|