|Giving has the added benefit of resulting in easier meditative absorption (adbusters)|
|Sariputra was wise to ask (TA)|
|The Buddha answers (TA)|
|Sariputra's sacred relics (Camerabhai/flickr)|
|The Buddha and his four chief monastic disciples, male and female, Wat Yai Chai Mongkol (Mongkhon) in Ayutthaya, Thailand (Rainer Lott/Steffi Esch/flickr.com)|
- not seeking profit, not with a heart/mind attached, not seeking to store up [merit with the thought], 'I'll enjoy this after death,'
- nor with the thought, 'Giving is good,'
- nor with the thought, 'This was given in the past, done in the past, by my relatives, so it would not be right for me to let this family tradition end,'
- nor with the thought, 'I am well off...,'
- nor with the thought, 'Sages of the past made great sacrifices... in the same way this will be my contribution,'
- nor with the thought, 'When this gift of mine is given, it makes the mind serene; appeasement and joy arise,'
|The Buddha and arhats (Horus2004/flickr)|