|The Buddha reclining into nirvana, Thailand flooding (framework.latimes.com)|
- Four Foundations of Mindfulness
- Four Right Efforts
- Four Bases of Power
- Five Controlling Faculties
- Five Powers
- Seven Factors for Enlightenment
- Eight Factors of the Noble Path. [Collectively these 37 factors in seven groups are known as the "Requisites of Enlightenment" or bodhipakkhiya dhamma.]
|I laid them; that should be enough.|
|Ship in a bottle in a storm like a castaway message (wallmay.net)|
|The Buddha, Sukhothai, Thailand (ashabot/flickr)|
|Rotten ship crumbles and sinks (DM)|
- Knowing and Seeing by Pa Auk Sayadaw The Three Trainings of virtuous conduct, concentration (absorption), and wisdom are the three stages of Buddhist practice. Through the practice of these Three Trainings an ordinary person can attain supreme nirvana and become a noble one. The Path of Purification, compiled by Ven. Buddhaghosa, is an exposition of the Three Trainings based on the Pali sutras and commentaries, which explains the Seven Stages of Purification and the 16 insight-knowledges.
- See "Discourse on All Defilements" (MN 2) Which defilements should be removed through vision? 17. "Monastics! What are the defilements that should be removed through vision? In the world the uninstructed worldlings not in the habit of seeing the noble [enlightened] ones, who is not proficient in the Dharma of the noble ones, and who is not trained and disciplined in the Dharma [and Vinaya] of the noble ones, who is not in the habit of seeing the virtuous [enlightened], who is not proficient in the Dharma of the virtuous, and who is not trained and disciplined in the Dharma of the virtuous, does not know the factors..."