|The best place to be for the holidays is Pasadena (or NY, maybe Boston, or SF) -- New Year's Rose Parade, Rose Bowl, Shambhala Meditation Center, Norton Simon's permanent Buddhist collection, Pacific Asia Museum, and more eateries than patrons.|
|The Berry Princess, bestest hostess|
|Driving in L.A., our ZombieLand, is tough.|
- The Victorian Age Internet (Tom Standage)
- Amidst fears of civil war, the United Nations Security Council agrees to send more UNMISS soldiers to South Sudan.
- Pioneering British computer scientist and code breaker Alan Turing, convicted in 1952 of gross indecency for homosexual activity, is granted a posthumous royal pardon.
- After the pardoning of businessman Mikhail Khodorkovsky, an amnesty law in Russia leads to the release of thousands of prisoners, including two members of Pussy Riot, and the dropping of charges against participants in a Greenpeace protest.
- ESA's Gaia space observatory is launched to compile a catalogue of astronomical objects.