- VIDEO: "Occupy LA" protesters ordered out
- Live streaming video: Occupy Los Angeles
- Occupy LA defies vacate order peacefully
- Who are the warmongers?
- PHOTOS: Occupy LA encampment
OM'ing for peace at the Occupy Movement (OM)
As that circle rapidly grew, demonstrators held hands and began to encircle the entire southern end of the park. Many others went onto the street. And police used this as a pretext to advance, threaten, march, and ultimate ask very politely for occupiers to please clear the street and return to the park. The street have very little traffic between midnight and 5:00 am, which is when this all played out. But their is a rush around 6:00 am. Demonstrators cleared the road by then, chanting, "You leave first." One hundred police eventually boarded two transport vehicles and departed.
Could the LAPD possibly have chosen compassion over conflict? No one at the encampment believes that, having been previously betrayed by trusting police. But officer John Sherman by megaphone delivered a very reasoned and polite set of orders that were eventually successful.
Meanwhile, LA's right wing radio (KFI) was rabidly calling for a bloodbath or at least a quiet beating to assert Chief Beck's ultimate authority and the occupiers' misdemeanor behavior for ("camping"), whereas Pacifica (free speech radio, KPFK) personalities were present and reporting live on the ground.
- Streets reopened after Occupy Los Angeles protest
- Occupy Wall Street comes to Downtown L.A.
- OLA protesters defy mayor's deadline to leave camp
- 3 [agitators] arrested as police clear intersection
- Deadline comes but protesters stay (Fox)
- Streets reopened after Occupy LA protest (ABC)
(NYMag.com) Riot police are still on alert in Los Angeles, where protesters were ordered to leave the City Hall lawn by midnight Pacific time. The deadline came and went without a mass exodus, but also without incident. "It is not our intent to clear the park at this time," the LAPD announced over a loudspeaker.... In Philadelphia at Occupy Philly, protesters were ordered out of Dilworth Plaza by 5:00 pm on Sunday; they're still hanging around. More