Wednesday, April 20, 2022

My Sexual Awakening Through Meditation

Lindsay Michelle (lovabilityinc.com); Ashley Wells, Seth Auberon (eds.), Wisdom Quarterly

How my sexual awakening came through meditation and how you can do it, too
There was a time in my life when I couldn’t orgasm. Even with the strongest vibrator, I still felt numb. It was odd to me because I definitely had been able to orgasm in the past. But something just felt off.

I couldn’t quite explain it. I could just feel it in my body. So, of course, like any millennial, I did a web search to find out what was happening to me. I saw results like dieting, exercise, and so on, but what really struck me was stress.


Stress was negatively impacting my sex life
I was insanely stressed at that point in my life. I had just moved to Washington, DC, ended an on-and-off 6-year relationship, and was stuck in a job I hated.

I started learning more about how stress can impact our ability to orgasm, and one sentence jumped out at me: “Your biggest sex organ is your brain.” I was literally mind blown.

Then I learned about meditation, teaching our brain how to be calm and more aware of the present moment. Most important to my situation, meditation would translate into the bedroom.

A GIF of a feminine figure meditating while various beach and sunset images flash in the background. Meditation can improve your mental health.

The relationship between meditation and sex
Meditation and sex can be a very powerful combination. A study determined that women who meditated scored higher than non-meditators in terms of sexual function. Women who meditated also had higher scores when it came to arousal, lubrication, orgasm, and desire. Meditation can improve our mental health.

Mental health boosts sexual function
What is important in the study is that “improved sexual function is associated with overall mental health.” If our mental health is flushed down the toilet, our sexual function could also be affected.

Since meditation improves overall mental health by removing distractions and focusing on the breath and the present moment, it can support us by being present and aware during sexual arousal.

After learning this, I decided I was going to... More

AUTHOR: Lindsay Michelle is a sex educator, advocate, and writer. She currently has her own curated blog, Sex Ed and the City, where she writes informative pieces on a wide range of topics from sex ed and rape culture to toy reviews. When she’s not writing, she's drumming with her all-girl power trio, Some Girls.

No comments: