PHOTOS: Nude protests by FEMEN activists
- Lauren, do you really think this a good idea?
- It's still in the planning stages.
- We could wear blue bras like they do in Egypt and Belarus.*
- Or we could go topless like they did in New York, in the early days of #OWS or the way PETA strips [to protest fur].
- They already did it?
Bearing a resemblance to Occupy LA's Lauren and Sophia, Inna Shevchenko (left) and Oksana Shachko are activists in the Women's Movement "FEMEN" in Kiev, Ukraine, Dec. 21, 2011. The Ukrainian organization of topless women activists says three of its members were abducted by security officers during a protest against Belarus' authoritarian president, beaten, humiliated, and left naked in a forest (AP/Sergei Chuzavkov). See story below.
- How much have you thought this through?
- It's still in the planning stages.
- Sophia, what is the plan?
- Dancing, demonstrating, and singing protest songs on the front line during actions.
- For the police?
- For everybody.
- Given the way police mix sex and violence, using it as a tactic of repression (groping, fondling, searching, violating, forcing detainees to strip and shimmy, raping), is that really a good idea?
- Lots of the women here might be really uptight about us wearing bikinis.
- We could play volleyball. Or we could all wear blue bras in protest.
- Yeah, I saw that. But our boots and bikinis would be made out of American flags.
- And that way they wouldn't dare rip them?
- It's still...
- --in the planning stages. That part will probably need a little more planning.
- Americans are WAY too uptight about sex.
- Violence every day of the week, but you can't even mention "breasts" or "sex." Until you go out of the country, like to England, you don't realize how Puritanical we are. But it becomes obvious that we are that way. They have Page 3 Girls...
- We have...
- Hypocrisy, denial. Not everyone, but everyone here is affected by Judeo-Christian mores. Our minds have been colonized. It comes with high morals.
- Free your minds!
- And your bikini will follow? Is it like this in Australia?
- We need to do something to get attention. Australia is the opposite. There no one cares if you sunbathe topless, but here it's impossible -- even at camp.
- Yeah, where's the "free love" in this movement? You hear about it: "Make love not war."
- Oh, some of it was definitely going on.
- But nowhere near the levels they said. And it should have been. We're so uptight.
- I don't think these women will want to participate.
- You think they'll even let it be an officially-sanctioned OLA committee?
- Affinity group. Lauren [who had just proposed the idea to the GA] is very passionate about this.
*Topless protesters return after Belarus ordeal
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) - Three women with a Ukrainian topless-protest group have returned from Belarus, where they claim they were abducted and beaten.
The members of the group FEMEN, whose members bare their breasts to draw attention to various political and social issues, accuse Belarusian security officers of seizing them in retaliation for a protest Monday against authoritarian Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko.
Activist Oksana Shechko told The Associated Press in Kiev on Wednesday that she and the other two young women were kidnapped, made to undress in a freezing forest, threatened with death and rape, smeared with paint, and had their hair cut.
Belarusian authorities have denied involvement in the activists' alleged ordeal. SourceThere's something very sexual about the way riotous police handle female demonstrators. Here a police officer uses pepper spray on an Occupy Portland protester at Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland, OR, Nov. 17, 2011 (AP/The Oregonian/Randy L. Rasmussen). Police clashes mar Occupy Wall Street protests
- Shepard Fairey's "Person of the Year" protester
- California Pot Shops face new enforcement bureau
- Skiing in the Buddha's ancient hometown
- Justice for Bradley Manning? Setting up WikiLeaks
- VIDEO: Ireland's greatest tragedy - child sex abuse
- VIDEO: NASA physicist invented "Taser" for police