Silence and Celebration: A New Years Eve Retreat (and Party)
Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011: 4:00 pm - 12:00 amPrice: $15 (no one turned away for lack of funds)
Eagle Rock SMCLA, Main Shrine Room
963 Colorado Blvd., L.A. 90041
(323) 255-5472 (email@example.com)
Been meaning to meditate more or to learn to meditate this year? This is the chance! Everyone is welcome to join in a mini-retreat as we transition from the old to the new year. Come for the entire evening or any part of it. Meditate and celebrate with new friends and fellow readers of Pema Chodron.
- Free meditation instruction available all night.
A newly released DVD of a talk given by Shambhala leader Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche (son of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche), "The Awesome Mind: Meditation and the Shambhala Path." He discusses how meditation practice can give the practitioner a handle on the mind and help us orient it the way we want:
"Our mind is our house. How do we want to arrange it? Do we want more compassion, more focus? Mind is as trainable as body. It has inherent power, clarity, and insight. Mind needs to be related to and respected."
Register to help the coordinators -- especially for those wishing to attend the celebration dinner portion of the evening.
SCHEDULE (come any time)
- 4:00-5:00 pm – Meditation Session*
- 5:00-6:00 pm - DVD "The Awesome Mind" (Part 1)
- 6:00-7:00 pm - Meditation Session*
- 7:00-9:00 pm – Celebratory Community Dinner
- 9:00-10:00 pm - "The Awesome Mind" (Part 2)
- 10:00 pm - 12:00 am – Meditation Session*
*Includes walking meditation. It is not necessary to stay for the entire session; feel free to come and go at any time.